Batticaloa Hotels

St.mary’s cathedral Batticaloa

St.Mary’s Cathedral Batticaloa

 

053St.SMary’s Cathedral is located in puliyanthivu island next to St. Michels college, on Central road. The First Co-Cathedral in Sri Lanka was raised as the Cathedral of the Diocese of Batticaloa. It was in the year 1893 the Trinco diocese was formed and then in 1965 the Trincomalee-Batticaloa diocese was formed comprising all three districts of the eastern province (Batticaloa, Trincomalee and Ampara districts). On behalf of these mutual clerical districts, St. Mary’s Church Batticaloa was named as the Co-Cathedral, (the first Co- Cathedral in the SriLankan church history)  On 03rd July 2012, in observance with the pronouncement of our Holy Father Benedict XVI, His Rep in Sri Lanka, His Excellency Most Rev.Dr Joseph, acknowledged Batticaloa as the new diocese, and ordained Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph Ponniah as the first Bishop for Batticaloa Diocese and stated that the Co-Cathedral has been raised up to the rank of Cathedral. These happy proceedings were formally announced and responsibilities were handed over on 23rd September 2012. The church which has a history of around 204 years (1808-2012)

Copy Protected by Chetans WP-Copyprotect.